NEGOTIATIONS UPDATE: After a summer of meetings, Formal Negotiations between the AIU and the AIUEA have stalled, specifically over compensation. At this point, there are only seven sections that remain unsigned. Two sections are simply clerical, one is our evaluation, and the remaining four are tied to compensation, with the latter likely to be bundled.
As we enter a second academic year under a contract extension, you will be called to action. AIUEA Leadership and your Negotiations Teams are creating a Settlement Task Force (STF). Matt Edgell from PSEA has been assigned to assist us. Members are being contacted to serve on the committee and a chair is being selected. The STF will be responsible for the coordination of activities that increase ‘calls to action’ to our members and activities that move us toward a fair and equitable settlement:
- Organize regional clusters
- Create phone/text trees
- Create a pin: All In Union
- Identify members who live in the election districts of AIUEA board members and engage in informal approaches individually or with small group
In the interim, you are asked to
- Wear AIUEA STRONG tee shirts to AIUEA In-service/Professional Development Days, AIU Board of Directors meetings, and when/where appropriate. Wear days in a row if necessary.
- Wear wrist bands every day, when/where appropriate.
- Attend Informational picketing when called to action.
- Attend the Monday, August 24 AIU Broad of Directors' meeting commencing at 7:00 PM. We know at this point that there will be a parent who is speaking publicly to support AIU services.
- You are also welcomed to showcase the good work tat you do.
- Attend the General Membership meeting with date TBE.
We are all frustrated by the lack of a settlement. However, I formally request that you temper any anger towards your Association Leadership and your Negotiations Teams’ members. This would include negative speak and malevolent criticism. Both your Core Team and your Negotiations Team have worked and met and planned and researched and strategized and agonized. We request and need your support, or at the least, we request that you do no harm.
This is not the time to be passive. If you would like to be part of the STF, please text VR Campbell at 412.417.1748.
Special Recognition to:
- ESL Teachers - Sea of blue at ESL Realignment!
- Vicky Kovachs (Retired) - All In Union button idea.
- Jan Pressman (ESL) and Cindy Salvis (Sunrise) for their vigilance of AIU in the media.
Look under the documents section on the right
hand side for Act 48 information thru PSEA
and the It Pays to Belong document!
Go to www.schoolloungemakeover.com to enter
your school into a contest for a teachers lounge makeover!
Only takes a few minutes!
If you have had your fingerprints done this summer and/or
renewed your act 34 and 151 clearances, please send or
scan/email your act 34 and 151 to firstname.lastname@example.org
They need a copy of those clearances. The fingerprints they can check online!
If you haven’t already done so please check your pay stubs. Some
people have been double charged for their benefits. Payroll is
aware of the issue and will be administering checks for those that
have been affected by this. If you notice any issues other than being
double charged please contact payroll. Also our 125 flexible spending
plan was sent to us on July 22nd. It has to be in to the IU by August 1
4th. This year they are doing a debit card so 2 forms are to be submitted.
Please check out our new section to the left entitled
Negotiations Updates for all past updates on the contract
negotiations. Current updates will still be posted on the home page!
July 12, 2015 Negotiations Update from Suzanne Brannagan, AIUEA Chief Negotiator
The following sections remain to be settled (TA)
Section 1 Agreement
Section 14 Evaluation
Section 20 Work Year
Section 71 Fringe Benefits
Section 78 Duration of Agreement
Section 82 Retirement Benefits
Appendix B: Salary Schedules
Your Negotiations TEAM will continue to bargain throughout the summer.
You may reach AIUEA leadership at any time by emailing us at email@example.com.
If you know of a colleague who is not receiving Association emails,
please have her/him email firstname.lastname@example.org to provide
a private email address. Use of an AIU email address is not
appropriate and will not be accepted as part of the list serve.
For your reference, the updates will also be posted on our website at